Call for Participation in ‘Pecha Kucha’ presentation session at the BSGE ASM 2018, Edinburgh
We are inviting abstracts from medical students, trainees, non-consultant grade doctors, nurses and paramedics for the Pecha Kucha Oral presentation session. The session is themed ‘Rage against the Machine’ and the topic is your choice! We are looking for interesting, novel and thought-provoking arguments encompassing this theme into your abstract. These should not only include your frustrations, but importantly your healthy solutions! The best abstracts will be selected for the Pecha Kucha oral presentation session at the BSGE meeting. The best presentation/ presenter will be awarded the ‘Pecha Kucha’ Prize.
What is Pecha Kucha?
Pecha Kucha (Japanese: chit-chat) is a simple presentation format in which speakers show 20 slides for 20 seconds each, usually seen in a multiple-speaker event (8 – 10) called a Pecha Kucha Night. The 20 images advance automatically and speakers talk along to the slides keeping the presentations concise and fast-paced and to time.
Abstract submission process
You are invited to submit an abstract under the following theme: ‘Rage against the Machine’
- You will need to include your own title, abstract and conclusion.
- The Pecha Kucha session is open to nurses, paramedics, all trainees, doctors in non-training posts, and medical students.
- All entries will be reviewed and scored by the BSGE Trainees Representatives.
- Scoring will be based on originality/ controversy, relevance to gynaecology and its thought-provoking content.
- To submit to Pecha Kucha session, please complete abstract template and email to [email protected] by 28th February 2018.
- You can downloan abstract template by clicking here.
- All participants will be notified by 16th March 2018.
- Five successful participants will have to submit their presentation for review by the BSGE Trainee representatives by 20th April 2018.
- The five finalists will present their Pecha Kucha presentations live during the session on 10th May 2018.
- 20 slides each of 20 seconds (6min 40sec in total).
- Each slide within the slideshow is programmed to automatically change at 20 seconds.
- There will be 2 minutes for questions at the end of your presentation.
- Your audience will decide the grand prize winner for the best Pecha Kucha Oral presentation.
- Variations from the specified format will be excluded and will be checked prior to the session.
Terms and Conditions for Pecha Kucha presentation session
- To enter the competition, participants must register for the BSGE ASM 2018, Edinburgh.
- Participants can submit only 1 entry.
- To qualify for the competition, participants must submit a title, abstract and conclusion of no more than 250 words excluding title).
- The authors of the best selected abstracts will be notified and will then be asked to submit an electronic version of their presentation via this website.
- The file submitted must be a PowerPoint presentation (PPT or PPTX).
- The file must contain 20 slides, each with a single still image/ text.
- Each slide must be 20 seconds (6 minutes & 40 seconds total).
- Participants must seek approval on the contents before submitting.
Winners and Prizes
- All entries will be reviewed by the BSGE Trainee representative to determine five finalists.
- Finalists must present their Pecha Kucha live during the session on 10th May 2018 at the BSGE ASM in Edinburgh.
- The winners of the competition will be determined by the audience attending the Pecha Kucha Session.
The competition winners will be announced at the Pecha Kucha Session.
- Competition prize will be distributed to the winner after the event.
- By submitting an entry, participants agree that their submission will be made publicly available and hosted on the BSGE website.
- By submitting an entry, participants agree that their submission may be used on BSGE ASM 2018 material including, but not limited to, the event handbook, website and promotional material; and may cite the participant.